February 17, 2014

From Aemy's Lab: Salted Fish Sambal





I used to hate cooking. Why? Because it was boring. (This just in: It is not.) Well, the real reason I hated it is because I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, no confidence whatsoever that I'd ever be able to navigate my way around the kitchen. 

My mom is an amazing cook. So much of my childhood was spent sitting in the kitchen, watching her whip up elaborate meals for us. She goes through the motions without thinking, adds ingredients without measuring. So I decided to dive in. Well, okay, maybe mom pushed me in a little bit. I can't just sit and watch her cooking forever. I'm not living in a castle waiting for my dinner to be served. So mom taught me to cook and she convinced me that I'd fall in love with cooking if only I learned how. And so I did learn. And so I do love it. Mom's always right. :)

Sambal dish is part of main course in our place, with chili base paste stir-fry to fragrant before adding the other main ingredients. They can be vegetable or seafood. One of my favorites is salted fish. So recently, using mom's recipe, I cooked salted fish with chili or sambal tumis ikan masin. Salted fish slightly stinks, but the taste, holy moly, is yummy! So here it is:






Ingredients:
Salted terubok fish (cut into pieces)
3 onions (ground)
4 garlic cloves (ground)
5 small chilies..or more, as you like (chopped)
2 tablespoons of chili paste
1/2 cup of tamarind water
2 tomatoes (diced)
2 big green chilies (chopped)
Pinch of salt and sugar

Directions:
1. Deep-fry the salted fish until crispy.
2. Evacuate the fish and replace the oil with new one (when you fry salted fish, the oil turns dark and you wouldn't want to reuse it).
3. Heat the oil in the pan, then stir-fry ground garlic and onions.
4. Add chili paste and stir-fry until fragrant.
5. Add small chilies, tamarind water (with the pulps) and tomatoes, stir. Lower heat and let it simmer.
6. Adjust the taste with salt and sugar.
7. Toss in salted fish and stir evenly. Add green chilies for garnishing. And it's ready to serve.




Maybe you can try this for dinner tonight. ;)
Bon app├ętit!



6 comments:

  1. Sambal fish seems good for me. :)

    I love to cook and of course, eat too! hehe

    mt
    Meitzeu @ Blog

    Meitzeu @ Facebook

    Meitzeu @ Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. nanti sy try. hehe thank you for sharing your recipe..kikiki.. sy try kalo rajin (ada lagi alasan) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bikin berliur hihi...sya kalau malas potong2 sayur or ayam ini la slalu sya masak or sambal bilis hehe..pedas2 lagi..so yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nyumm! My two favourite - sambal and Ikan Masin. Surely tambah nasi smpai x ingat dunia. hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww.. Mcm sedap je.. Haha.. Sy lama suda mau memasak tp skrg sibuk mau berpindah ruma..nanti sy try! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saya suka makan pedas2, nampak macam pedas, nyummy...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. Keep a song in your heart and have a nice day. Au revoir.

 

Copyright © 2009-2017 Aemy Nadira. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.