January 12, 2013

I'll See You in Another Life



Vanilla Sky was released 12 years ago and I watched it today for the 1st time. How lame is that? I mean, how could I missed watching a brilliant film that starred by Tom Cruise? Never mind, I've watched it anyway. Most reviewers said that Vanilla Sky was the most baffling and confusing movie ever. Poor them. Lol.

The story's about David (Tom), who has just about everything including a publishing empire and a sex partner named Julie (Cameron Diaz). At one party, David met Sofia (Penelope Cruz) and they spend the night together. When Julie finds out, she offers David a lift and drives off a bridge to kill themselves. However, Julie's the only one who dies while David survives..with a horribly disfigured face. And that's when the strange things started. 


I still love him even with this face.


For a man that traffics on his looks, damaged face is the end of the world. David seeks every avenue of plastic surgery and facial reconstruction he can find, and while doing so, he starts to lose his grip on sanity. 

He sees Julie everywhere, he has a great time with Sofia but suddenly she turns into Julie, he imagines the BOD's scheming to kick him out of the company, and he finds himself charged with a murder - but none of those things are real. He's been living in his own lucid dream right after Sofia left him on his drunken night. He killed himself with overdosed drug, but he's not really dead. Truth is, he signed a contract with Life Extension before, a place where people are frozen until a cure for their illness is available. So David's suspended, preserved and placed in a lucid dream state for 150 years. When he realize that it's all a dream, he says goodbye to Sofia and decides to come back into reality by leaping off a building. The end. It's sad because in real life, Sofia doesn't exist anymore.


"..I'll see you in another life.." ~ I tear up at this..


Yes, it's confusing but I'm amazed and totally drawn into it. While it looks like there's a lot of options - David is either crazy, dreaming, dead, or the victim of conspiracy - this film really makes you believe them all simultaneously. And I love it, I love this kind of film, how it challenges my mind and at the same time gives me new perspective on something, such as life. I really love Vanilla Sky as much as I love Inception. 

And by the way, these are the beautiful quotes I caught from Vanilla Sky:


Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
You can do whatever you want with your life, but one day you’ll know what love truly is. It’s the sour and the sweet. And I know sour, which allows me to appreciate the sweet.
Most of us live our whole lives without any real adventure to call our own. What is any life without the pursuit of a dream?




13 comments:

  1. One of the best movie by Tom Cruis. Go and find more old movies.
    Just wanted to share with you my fav old movie. Title: Now and Then (1995. Featuring Demi Moore, Christina Ricci, Melanie Griffith and many more. Try to watch this movie and it surely bring some good memory of your childhood. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea i havent watched that yet. there's a lot of great old movies that i didnt watch. gonna catch up all of them. hehehe..thx Wyne! ^^

      Delete
  2. this is one of the best Tom Cruise movie..its never late to catch this good quality of movie..hehehehe

    Regards,
    -Strider

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have watched this movie before :D unfortunately, me no likey. i mean, i don't understand just like the other people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe you have to watch it again, trust me, u'll love it if u get the story ^^

      Delete
  4. baru synopsis sini pun sya bingung sudah sikit, I have to re-read like 2-3 time baru I understand the plot a BIT.. I haven't watch the movie yet but kompem sya pandai bingung ne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea my review doesn't do justice..haha..sorry i dont know how to do synopsis :p u better watch it, darl ^^

      Delete
  5. Certainly never too late to watch Tom Cruise movie. He's such a brilliant & charming actor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rasanya pernah tengok movie ni tapi lupa2 ingat. Kalau lupa2 ingat tu meaning x begitu menarik la ni filem bagi saya..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watched but can't recall the storyline. Teruk kan? I guess I am not really a big fan of him. ghuhuhuhuhuh..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched this 12 years ago and I remember being confused and somewhat baffled. I think I may have to re-watch this again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you did watched Vanilla Sky but for me, until now haven't watch yet. =P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. Keep a song in your heart and have a nice day. Au revoir.

 

Copyright © 2009-2017 Aemy Nadira. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger.